Through Truss TT Bridge (Was Re: N&W in 1903 -- New Rail)

Wed Jan 2 20:36:35 EST 2008

Jeff,

I have copies of two drawings that I obtained from the Society's archives;
the earliest is Drawing A21155, dated August 24, 1920, with a last revision
date of August 29, 1923. This drawing notes "proposed" change is track to
allow clearance for the ash hoist and proposed coal hoist; both of these
are shown on a track that would roughly follow the curve of the C&O track.

The second drawing is A29329 dated December 1, 1928 with no revision dates
noted; it shows a "proposed coal & ash hoist" that would be on a siding that
roughly parallels the N&W mainline and fit between it and one of the
turntable leads; this drawing shows the locations of, what I presume to be,
an existing "coah house" and "coal wharf." It also shows the "Yard Office"
to be at the end of the spur track that parallels the C&O track, albeit on a
lower level.

Both drawings note the turntable length to be 115 feet.

I've never been able to figure out exactly what was there; as this will be
the last portion of my model railroad to be completed, I hope that if I live
that long, to finally figure out what was there and represent it as best as
possible.

On p. 33 of Warden's "Norfolk & Western: Diesel's Last Conquest," there is a
photo of a southbound GOP special; on the left of the photo are steps that I
presume led to the turntable area. On p. 34, there is a photo of M-2 1119,
the "regular" Waynesboro switcher on what I presume is the ash pit track,
with the ash hoist in the back of the locomotive.

I don't know if Mr. Warden took more photos of this area; I would suspect he
did given the fact that it was the "engine terminal" and would naturally
attract a photographer's attention.

I'd love to learn more about this area and/or find additional photographs
that might clear up the actual track/servicing arrangement.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 8:35 AM
Subject: Re: Through Truss TT Bridge (Was Re: N&W in 1903 -- New Rail)