Reusing Signals

Wed Jan 2 16:59:06 EST 2008

The picture is on page 226 of Buds book second edition 219 first edition.
I have also seen one in a photo take at Portsmouth also. May be a signal
for the hump? I just never noticed it before

Thanks
Larry Evans
Kenova, WV

Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 3:07 PM
Subject: Re: Reusing Signals

What were the full head signals
all nine lights on one arm used for in Portsmouth and Roanoke?
You may have reference to a hump signal. I'm not sure. There
were provisions in the rule book effective 4/1/45 for half a dozen
indications that were displayed on three targets (three lights per
target). No rule number, but "Move Through Diverging Route at
Restricted Speed" , for example, was:
TOP TARGET - Three horizontal lights
MIDDLE TARGET -Three horizontal lights
BOTTOM TARGET - Three diagonal lights pointing toward the track.

All other indications had the capability of being displayed using two
targets. The 1951 rule book does not include three-target signals,
so I guess by then the Operating Department had decapitated one
of the signal heads. NOTE: on three-target signals requiring a positive
stop, there would have been a 10th light mounted on the signal mast.
Harry Bundy

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.