Reusing Signals

Wed Jan 2 15:07:47 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/1/2008 7:03:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

What were the full head signals
all nine lights on one arm used for in Portsmouth and Roanoke?

You may have reference to a hump signal. I'm not sure. There
were provisions in the rule book effective 4/1/45 for half a dozen
indications that were displayed on three targets (three lights per
target). No rule number, but "Move Through Diverging Route at
Restricted Speed" , for example, was:
TOP TARGET - Three horizontal lights
MIDDLE TARGET -Three horizontal lights
BOTTOM TARGET - Three diagonal lights pointing toward the track.

All other indications had the capability of being displayed using two
targets. The 1951 rule book does not include three-target signals,
so I guess by then the Operating Department had decapitated one
of the signal heads. NOTE: on three-target signals requiring a positive
stop, there would have been a 10th light mounted on the signal mast.
Harry Bundy