N&W in 1903 -- Sleeping Car

Mon Dec 31 20:32:54 EST 2007

Alex,

Thanks for the additional info. I thought that I remembered from somewhere that there was a sleeping car between New York and Gary, but I was afraid to say so without something to back me up.

Gordon
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 3:13 PM
Subject: Re: N&W in 1903 -- Sleeping Car

Gordon,

What makes your question more interesting is that in 1903 Gary was barely being built. Surveying started in Jan 1902 and coke oven construction started in May 1902 at Wilcoe No. 1 (then Tug River), No. 2 and Gary No. 3. Evidently big plans, 50,000 acres of leased coal land and a multi-million dollar investment attracted enough engineering and accounting people to continually check on the progress of Gary's development. I don't have the early time tables, but my notes indicate that sleeping car service was eventually offered to New York City from Gary.

In 1912 Train 1 ran from New York to Gary and Train 2 ran from Gary to New York. In 1910 No.1 ran to Gary, but No.2 did not. Train 152 pulled the sleeping car from Gary to connect with No. 2.

Alex Schust