VGN Morri Branch

Sun Dec 30 22:19:23 EST 2007

There again, it makes sense. All the relays and associated electronics, signal masts, ladders, etc. were all US&S, except for the GRS searchlights and the GRS SWCC's.

Ben Blevins

Since the signals were installed well after the 1959 merger, why did they install searchlights on the branch instead of the standard N&W CPL?
Ben:
More than anything else, I believe searchlight signals were installed because of scarcity in
position light equipment, so I've been told Could Union Switch & Signal have supplied more
position light equipment ? I don't know. Two years before, N&W had converted the Winston
District from Automatic Block (with 19 short sidings) to traffic control (with two signaled sidings;
a third, Philpott, was added later). The branch to Belews Creek required additional signals also.
N&W respaced signals on the Norfolk Division and got a dual benefit - it extended the block
length and the surplus signals went to make traffic control on the Winston District a reality.

Harry Bundy

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.