Location Help

Sun Dec 30 13:28:39 EST 2007

> Mason: That building looks similar to the power building near Byllesby Dam

> on the New River Trail. The dam would be on your left (out of sight) in the

> picture. The train would be coming from Fries/Galax. The steps on the left

> may those that lead up to an old office/house building, still there on the

> property of the park, that I believe was an office for the personnel that

> maintained the dam. It has been a few years since I've been to that spot on

> the trail, but I do remember the layout being similar. Anyway, that's my

> guess.

Not a bad guess, but not a correct one either. While the layout is
close to that at Byllesby, the building is wrong and the line to the
right (including the bridge) isn't correct. There was a siding at
Byllesby, but it went to the substation building; the line in this
photo looks to miss the building and continues onward.

My wild guess would put this somewhere up the Bluestone Branch,
although I can't pinpoint an exact location.

Bruce in Blacksburg