N&W in 1903 -- New Rail

Sat Dec 29 19:49:27 EST 2007

Thanks. I was unaware of the 155 pound rail on the Buchanan Branch. I remember years ago reading that the PRR had used some rail that heavy, but I did not know that any of it had found its way onto the N&W.

My mention of NS's current use of predominantly 136-pound rail and some 141-pound was based on information from a contact in the NS Research & Test Department about current NS practice.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:09 PM
Subject: Re: N&W in 1903 -- New Rail

By contrast with the "massive" 85-pound rails in 1903, the NS currently uses predominantly 136-pound rail and even some 141-pound rail. Also, I do not understand what is mean by the "Norfolk & Western trunk system to the North."]
And Gordon...research on the Buchanan Branch revealed some 155-pound Pennsylvania Standard rail. Harry has the details (as usual!) on where it came from and why.

Bucky

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.