611 at Pearisburg, Aug 1959

Wed Dec 26 22:41:13 EST 2007

Jim - that AEPCo excursion DID occur after I went to work; so I was wrong
about the next run of the 611 being its last. But the AEPCo excursion went
from Roanoke EAST (I don't know how far - I tried to pace it around Montvale
and had to give up) and wouldn't have gone through Pearisburg.

EdKing
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 8:16 PM
Subject: Re: 611 at Pearisburg, Aug 1959

> My guess is that this is an excursion, which would account for the lack of

> head equipment and for the late date of operation of 611. Wish I could

> remember more, as I was in Narrows on the date indicated. As far as the

> track is concerned, the train is on the eastbound main, and obviously is

> not making a station stop. Now, Sam the other vehicle is hard to identify,

> but I don't think GM. Maybe International Harvester, or even Rio? The

> orange paint is a puzzle, but could the whole scene have something to do

> with AEPco? Seems to me they ran a steam excursion for employees behind

> 611 about this time. Anybody else remember that one? It is documented

> somewhere. If I could just remember where. Jim Nichols

> NW Mailing List wrote:

>> Dave

>> Thanks for sharing the photo. Looking at the consist, which has no

>> head-end equipment, I'd say the train is most likely the Powhatan Arrow,

>> only quite a bit longer than normal. Why the train would stop on the far

>> main is a bit of a puzzler, Perhaps there was something preventing it

>> from using the near track, which I think they would normally do for

>> passenger safety.

>> What also interests me is the orange vehicles. I don't recall what N&W

>> railroad vehicles looked like at the time. The near truck appears to be

>> a Dodge. Can some vehicle expert identify the other one; looks to me

>> like a General Motors product. Rev. Jim?

>> Sam Putney

>> Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 6:31 AM

>> Subject: 611 at Pearisburg, Aug 1959

>>> This photo appeared on the Train Orders site, and although there has

>>> been much speculation, no one has been able to identify what's

>>> happening. Judging by the painted-over chrome headlight trim on 611, the