wheel slippage

Mon Dec 10 16:08:17 EST 2007

In addition to the rail burn problem mentioned by Harry Bundy, there
has been at least one instance of uncontrolled slipping resulting in
motion damage. A few years ago in the UK, on a steam-hauled
excursion, a poorly trained engine driver allowed his 4-6-2 to slip
so badly that one or more rods bent or were broken. This not only
destroyed the motion, but it also seriously damaged the cylinder
casting. I believe that the loco is serviceable again, but I think
that they had to have the cylinder assembly recast. (Can you imagine
trying to find someone to cast a cylinder saddle in the US today?)

On a modern US loco with cylinders integral with the engine bed, this
would be a disaster!

pete groom