Tell-tales before tunnels, bridges

Sun Dec 9 23:15:46 EST 2007

My bet is that 72 is a typo for 22. The purpose of a telltale was to
warn anyone who was standing on the top of a piece of equipment that his
head would not clear the obstruction which was coming up. N&W
locomotives were up to 16 feet tall. Assuming a man's height as 6 feet,
the two figures would yield 22 feet. Of course, a box car was not quite
that tall, but we are assuming worst case scenario here. So 22 feet
would make sense. Just a guess. Jim Nichols