S1 and S1a operation on the N&W

Thu Nov 8 22:55:24 EST 2007

I can remember visiting my Grandparents and watching at least four 0-8-0
switchers working the Wlilliamson yard at the same time. One would be
shifting cars in or out of the car repair shops which were located on the
river side (Tug Fork) of the yard. The second would be shifting empty
hoppers in the "empties" yard. I can specifically remember they would be
separating Virginian hoppers and 100 ton Gons from N&W hoppers. This
involved handling long strings of hoppers.

A third would be shifting various freight cars in the middle of the yard. I
assume they were making and breaking trains down for local runs. A fourth
would be shifting loaded hoppers on the US 52 side of the yard, making up
trains which would then go west to Portsmouth, OH. If they were idle for
too long, the steam safety valve would pop and you could hear the roar of
steam as a plume of white colored water vapor would shoot skyward.

I have also seen an 0-8-0 gather cabooses from various points in the yard
and move them to the caboose tracks.

I hope this helps and thanks for your email which revived some good
memories.

Bill Smith
Zanesville, Ohio

Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 3:41 PM