Is "Parent Company" a Misnomer? Rails and such . . .

Tue Oct 30 23:42:03 EDT 2007

Another N&W rail peculiarity I would welcome comments on: For a span of years in the late "60's and early "70's much of the mainline between Farmville and Welch (the area I visited most frequently) consisted of spans of 39' rail welded into 78' lengths. Was this N&W's tentative toe-in-the-water first trial of semi-welded rail? I believe neighbors C&O and Southern already had extensive mileage with welded rail by then. My impression is that N&W was slow to adopt welded rail to any great extent. Maybe it had to with the stresses they felt that long coal trains put on the longer lengths of rail. Didn't seem to bother C&O, though.

Sam Putney

Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: Is "Parent Company" a Misnomer? Rails and such . . .

Correct, Ed. In '87, there was 132# welded rail from
Vera to the top of Irvington Hill. From there to
Sardinia, it went to 130# "Head-free". From Sardinia
to Clare, it went back to 132# welded rail.

Two weeks ago, the Roadmaster was in Bonsack
overseeing some outside contractors from
Louisiana cutting brush along the right of way. He
noted that there is still 130# PS rail between Vabrook
and Lynchburg on the Durham District.
Harry Bundy