Fifteen Years Ago today

Sat Oct 27 22:53:37 EDT 2007

Wow! Hard to imagine it was that long ago. I was out that way on business
and managed to secure tickets for myself and newly pregnant wife. We were in
the group too far back in the train to ride up Saluda behind 611; the
diesels hauled us up and we got to watch from trackside. Saw one of the
funniest sights in my life when a railfan standing on an embankment leapt
feet-first into a thick batch of kudzu to get to ground level and almost got
eaten alive by the weed, flailing his way down a long ways, kudzu rustling,
to track level, arms and cameras flying.
On the way back to Charlotte, I remember riding in the combo coach-baggage
car behind the A-tank on the return trip up the SRR main that night,
listening to the sound of the engine (yes, she was running at least 45 mph
at points by my watch). There were about a half dozen of us in the darkened
baggage area, listening in silence to the sounds of the engine and train. At
one point, a state trooper pulled abreast on the road alongside and turned
his spotlight on the engine. He paced us for awhile, blowing through one
little town's main intersections at track speed to keep up with the train. I
remembered wondering if I'd ever hear 611's whistle again after that night.
Don't think I did ...
Oh well, memories. Wish I'd had a digital tape recorder that nite and many
others...

Andre Jackson and/or Lisa Burrows
Life is short; update your anti-virus software
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:46 AM
Subject: Fifteen Years Ago today