Several Years Ago

Thu Oct 25 19:11:30 EDT 2007

I forgot to add my email address so I can direct personal business away from the group discussion...
ljp611 at ntelos.net
Lois J.Ponton
611 Historian and founder, Friends of the 611

I however are writing a biography of 611 and would like some accounts of that day.Lois J. Ponton611 Historian

Yep. That night I rode the cab of 611 from Bluefield back to Roanoke with Engineer Noah Blevins and ARFE Paul Cabiness. OWL and TRAINS photographer Bill Akins were also in the cab. At that time we were positive we'd ridden 611 the last hundred miles she'd ever run . . .

EdKing

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 10:03 PM
Subject: RE: Several Years Ago

Aubrey,

I was on the train, along with you and Jerry Bullington from Lynchburg. My recollection is that the trip from Bluefield to Roanoke in the night hours featured some fast running at times, perhaps those up front thought it would be last opportunity.

I also recall going out that morning riding in one of the open air gons on the rear of the train. It was a chilly fall day and we came out of a tunnel in West Virginia into a brief sleet storm.

I frequently watch NS trains roll past the old depot in Cambria (Christiansburg) and conjure up images of a Class J pulilng the Powhatan Arrow though or stopping with the Pocahontas or Birmingham Special. It just ain’t the same……. But I still love being there.

Ray Smoot

How many of us remember where we were and what we were doing Oct. 24, 1959?

Aubrey WileyYou are invited to visit these links but they are still under construction.Home Page - http://vgnry43.googlepages.com/homeModel Railroad Page - http://vgnry43.googlepages.com/modelrailroadofaubreywiley You Tube Videos - http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=VgnRy43

Climb to the top of the charts! Play Star Shuffle: the word scramble challenge with star power. Play Now!