three questions

Mon Oct 8 21:36:49 EDT 2007

Mr. Abbott,

I can add a little bit to what Gary has told you about the location of "photographers' bridge." He is right that there is no way to enjoy the view that was had in the days of steam. But you can still get to the site with a little effort. The road that crossed the bridge was Blue Ridge Springs Road. It still exists on both sides of U.S. 460; I believe it's state route number 805. You can also get to it by approaching from east or west on Colonial Road which parallels 460 to the south between Webster Road and an outlet near Healing Springs Road, which goes under the railroad just west of where the old Blue Ridge station was.

Blue Ridge Springs Road now deadends near what was the north end of the bridge in some earth banks that are covered in various stickers and thorns. The area is patrolled by some Carolina yeller type dogs that are more bark than bite, but the human natives seem friendly enough. (It's been a couple of years since I've been out there.) With a little effort you can make your way to the top of the bank overlooking the tracks. But you will be disappointed in the view because the broad, open pastureland that appears so prominently in the photos from the steam era and the curving mainline that winds around the hills to the west are invisible because of the substantial second-growth forest that has grown up over the past fifty years. And don't even try to approach the south side. That area is so overgrown that you'd need a machete and couple of native bearers to hack your way through from Healing Springs Road. Happy hunting.

Hey, you old guys, did you ever think we'd be explaining to some young whippersnapper what a telltale was?

Sam Putney

Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 12:26 PM
Subject: RE: three questions

Mr. Abbott: A track chart is a schematic or a simple line drawing. What you want is a Right of Way drawing that shows your desired milepost in relation to a road location that you can find while driving along that road. The track charts can be ordered from the archives (archives at nwhs.org) . But, I think you will find that you still need to put your puzzle together so that you can navigate yourself or someone will have to do the navigation for you. The RoW drawings for this line are not available in the Archives to my knowledge. I'll have to see if I can figure out where 476 is and relate it to a highway location for you.

The old photographer's bridge at Blue Ridge is long gone. It isn't to far from Webster and the brick yard east of Roanoke. But, the tree growth along this area blocks any photograph similar to those taken in the 'golden twilight' of steam operation. The brick works are the easiest thing to find today to get you somewhat close to the summit.

The ropes hanging down over the tracks are 'tell tales' or 'tell tails' that were hung to the tops of the cars so that a man riding on the top of a car would be struck by them. He would then know --- "DUCK"-that a low hanging structure was just ahead. Low bridges or tunnel portals were so marked.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati