Is "Parent Company" a Misnomer?

Mon Oct 8 16:15:43 EDT 2007

For widely-held companies, I think that the conventional wisdom is
that a lot less than 30% will give practical control as long as you
have appreciably more than anybody else.

pete groom

pete groom
On Oct 8, 2007, at 6:38 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> Only to use this as the most recent example, in

> the reading the new "N&W Steam in Color" book, there

> are many references to the PRR as being the "Parent

> Company" of the N&W. Through the years, this seems

> to pop up any time the N&W and PRR are mentioned in

> one sentence.

> I feel this is a much overused (abused?)

> misnomer. Where is it written that the PRR had

> anything to do with the birth of the N&W? Does the

> fact that the PRR bought some N&W stock at some

> point in time automatically qualify the PRR to ask

> "Who's your Daddy"? If this parenting stuff had

> actually been true, then why is it also mentioned

> that the PRR kept their hands off what the N&W was

> doing?

> What do you think?

> Jimmy Lisle>

==========================
My understanding is that PRR owned at most 30% or so
of N&W stock. While with this much of N&W stock they
could wield some influence they would need to own over
50% of N&W stock to "control" N&W.

Mark Peele
Catonsville, MD

N&W in N scale

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives
you all the tools to get online.