NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 22, Issue 5

Tue Oct 2 15:35:07 EDT 2007

Absolutely correct that the line crossed thru the
Mall, if we are talking about the same one as I think
we are. It's near the top of the grade traveling
southbound on Route 11 correct?

Here's how the line went south out of Staunton as a
FYI. I can not recite street names but I have followed
much of the route and in places there are ample
evidences if one knows where to look.

Where Greenville Ave. crosses under the C&O where the
big rusty water pitcher is -- there used to be a
second under-crossing the C&O. The Valley RR made
something like an 11 degree curve there from over
Lewis Creek which occasionally over-flowed its banks
and mad a mess of things. In the area of today's Route
11 just north of this under-crossing was where the
B&O's Staunton yards were located next to where the
current Shenandoah Valley RR operates. All that was
changed when the new by-pass was built in the
1947-1949 period and the yards were removed, Route 11
run thru here instead of thru town. Okay, that gets us
at the C&O crossing. Crossing under the C&O, the
Staunton station was immediately south of the C&O
where some other business is presently located. The
B&O line was against the hillside here and departing
town was a stiff 2% grade in a cut in the rocks there.
In winter you can still see the cut which become
largely filled in since the rails were removed in the
Summer of 1943.

After paralleling Route 11 for a quarter-mile or so
still on this stiff grade the line needed to gain
altitude so they curved to west somewhat, going behind
what I think is an elementary school on the west of
Greenville Ave. The line continued thru what is now a
built up neighborhood but there are places where it is
still visible and near the top of the hillside, still
on that 2% grade, it crossed Route 11 over to the east
of it, going behind or nearly so of the shopping mall
to which I think you refer.

As a matter of fact there is a stand of trees to mark
the locale of the fill where the rails one were
located. It continued along there and I haven't
followed it or tried as I presumed it was lost in the
modernization but if you take the by-pass Route to
I-81, the fill emerges on your left as you head south.

It then crosses the by-pass from the east to the west
side and basically follows that until you get to I-81
and I-81's MP 219 which the bridge over Folly Mills
Creek has been preserved as an item on the National
Register of Historic Places. Within a few hundred
yards the old r-o-w becomes gobbled up into I-81 and
is invisible for a mile or so, then re-emerges again
on the WEST side, the same side as the Folly Mills
Bridge, for several miles. It slowly curves slightly
west of the Interstate until about a mile before the
Greenville exit to cross very markedly from the west
to the east side, parallels I-81 until it crosses
Route 11 at the I-81 Greenville exit and becomes lost
in the Pilot truck stop. However, within the confines
of said Pilot Truck stop are a culvert or two which
were prevented from being destroyed when the truck
stop was created several years ago. At one time there
were several graves there, presumable for deceased
railroad workers but who knows now?

If you continue south on Route 11, the r-o-w becomes
PLAINLY VISIBLE to your west (left) until you can
plainly see a couple of large stone culverts over
streams and then it continues thru private
cattle-grazing land and becomes lost in some
under-brush.

That takes us almost to the site of the Greenville
station.

Everything I am repeating here are things I have seen
and followed either on foot or by car.

If we want to go farther south from the Greenville
area, let me know and I'll be happy to continue the
"tour" in another installment. Remember, we've just
travelled between 5 and 10 miles south of Staunton and
it was a total of 37 miles between Staunton and
Lexington.

More later.

Bob Cohen