Stone Arched Trestle

Sun Sep 30 22:34:04 EDT 2007

CW Ry purchased the Valley Railroad of Virginia from the B&O RR on Dec. 29, 1942, and assumed control of the properties on Jan. 1, 1943. One of the conditions of the deal was that the line from Staunton to Lexington had to be abandoned before the sale date, thus relieving CW of going through that process.

On Jan. 1, 1943 a work train was dispatched south to Lexington to begin pulling up the rails from there back to Staunton. It is reported that the sale of scrap from the dismantling of that portion of the line provided enough, and more, to cover the CW's purchase price of the whole Valley line.

CW also acquired with it's purchase of the Valley RR, it's unfinished right of way between Lexington and Salem. An interesting side note is that in researching the old right of way some years ago I found deeds in Roanoke County where CW owned and sold parcels of land to individuals as late as the 1970s.

There are many places south of Staunton where an observant eye can spot small fills and cuts particularly on the west side of I-81.

Jeff Sanders
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2007 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: Stone Arched Trestle

The B&O-backed Valley Railroad was completed and operated as far as Lexington. The stone bridge beside I-81 just south of Staunton and other visible grades and structures between there and Lexington were operated by the B&O. It appears that much of the land along that route reverted to the surrounding landowners.

When did the line cease operations?

Greg Harrod

See what's new at http://www.aol.com