Stone Arched Trestle

Sun Sep 30 14:08:21 EDT 2007

> Order "Iron Horses in the Valley" at the Society Commissary. The B&O

> railroad was aiming for Salem but the Pennsy backed the Shenandoah Railway

> and B&O couldn't compete (as usual).

I've looked through this book (and need to add it to my library) and
it does a good job of identifying the route and remains of the Valley
line. Missing is a report on the stone bridge piers in the James River
west of Buchannan (just downstream and around the river bend from
where I-81 crosses the James). I've been told they were part of the
Valley line, but the book doesn't seem to confirm that. Was this a
railroad crossing or did this bridge serve another purpose?

Bruce in Blacksburg