Movement of locos back to VMT

Sun Sep 30 13:29:55 EDT 2007

Let me add my opinion here; Being a citizen of Virginia, I am very disappointed in the Commonwealth of Virginia's lack of financial support for the museum. But, at the same time, I am also sorely disappointed in the VMT organization itself. And, who is this "yardmaster" on the blog? It sounds very unprofessional. I've been doing railroad volunteer work for 15 years now, and I would never have something like that in my personal "blog" if I had one.

611 was buried in VMT in 1995. Many of us on this list were there. We all saw 611 draped in her "funeral gown" and the dignitaries giving the dedication, with us "rail fanatics" all crammed in the back row out of the way, while high society and invitees sat in the seated area. Ever since then, 611 has been their star. Then they buried 1218 along side her a few years later. From 1982 until 1995, VMT survived just fine without 611. The 1218 was gone even longer.

Now, consider this. How many of us ever thought we'd see 611 leave the museum again? I'd say almost none. You could have pushed me over with a feather when I heard they took it out. I am excstatic that 611 left the museum. It could possibly be a new beginning for 611. Maybe not, but who knows.

Let's face it, none of us ever thought we'd see 611 ever move out of the museum again, did we?

With that in mind, I suggest everyone be NICE to Norfolk Southern, and forget what happened when they cancelled the steam program in 1994. While its just my opinion, it appears that NS still considers 611 a "friend", or they wouldn't have bothered to move it.

My 2 cents worth.

Ben Blevins

VMT just keeps driving nails in their coffin. Now their posting NS derailment photos
from their blog. One of their Members the self-proclaimed rail expert yardmaster
is posting false information on his own VMT bannered blog including video
on you tube with foul language in the back ground . Getting hard to offer any
support to such an organization.

Larry Evans

Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2007 11:51 PM
Subject: Re: Movement of locos back to VMT

Whp writes this blog, because I would be pissed off with the way the Post from 9-11-07 calls NS out and the way it down plays their museum. It sounds, from an outsider's P.O.V., like this guy/gal doesn't believe that there is anything else worth seeing on site. And if VMT is reducing prices when the two engines leave I would say that they believe the same thing. As an over involved member at another railroad museum, I would not appreciate this type of responce to a set back like this to our museum from one of our members. Especially on a public forum.

Sorry for the vent, but VMT has had their share of problems over the past few years, and they don't deserve to have someone from the inside down playing them. They also hae more than enough to see other than the two beauties. I agree I would be a little disappointed to show up and not see 6111 or 1218 but I would never complain and ask for part or all of my admission back. VMT deserves positive support from the membership and they are moving in a positive direction from what I can tell. Still a long way to go, but we all have to over come our musuems past in some area.

Jason Greene
Oakwood, GA

Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2007 7:47 AM

You can read about the latest news concerning the return of 611 and 1218 to the VMT on their blog at

http://vmtmusings.blogspot.com/

This situation is hurting the museum financially at a time when it is already down. They are having to offer reduced admission while the two stars are away.

Ron Davis