Latest Arrow, convention comments

Mon Sep 17 12:09:23 EDT 2007

Seems we have been down this road before. Yes, I spent time in the 80's and
90's chasing and/or riding the 611 and 1218 excursions. And could still do
so (age 72) if they were still running. But they are not. And the Roanoke
museum consists of static displays. Compare to what exists in Pennsylvania -
Scranton in particular. Living museum, short trips, potential for longer
trips, shop for maintaining what they have.

Big difference - Scranton / Steamtown is operated by the NPS, because some
higher ups in Pennsylvania Government got involved and obtained the funding.
Unless the gov't of Virginia acts in a similar manner, Roanoke will remain as
it is now. Would be more of an attraction if there were a "ride", such as
around the old N & W loop; did someone mention a 2-8-0 ? But it would take
money; a dose of public funds to start, plus the cooperation of NS.

Do I expect it to happen ? Based on history, no. But I have my videos from
1987, when I rode and chased 611, 1218, and 1361. Just a touch of the
"play" button and I'm there again - - - - -

Jerry Crosson