2 Last Minute Questions

Tue Aug 28 11:43:08 EDT 2007

Bridge numbers were smallish lettering about 4" high that was stenciled in
white on a black background on the approach abundment on both ends of the
bridge. This could be read by a railcar or high-railer or engineer. The
placement was not for reading by a road-bound person. These numbers were
for railroad MoW personnel. Lots of these numbers have faded or worn away
to illegibility.

In earlier years the bridge number could be on a small board, like a small
whistle post, again placed at the approach abundment.

As to signals, 4759 is a siding signal number which may be gone due to
track alterations over the years. If the signal was replaced with a new
style, it is likely that the numbers were not replaced. Signals are
numbered in two ways, distant or approach signals are numbered by milepost
and miles to the tenth of a mile (e/b and w/b being a tenth different) and
numbers in a sequence for sidings.

A recent track schematic, available from the Archives, would be a better map
for you to use.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

_____