Henry Raine Harvey (1881-1960), Virginian RR Employee

Wed Aug 8 21:48:37 EDT 2007

I see numerous postings regarding retired N&W and Virginian Railroad
employees so I thought I would say a little about a Great Uncle of mine
that used to work for the Virginian RR.

Henry Raine Harvey, also known as "Red" Harvey or "Captain" Harvey,
worked as a freight conductor for the Virginian RR although several
years prior to retirement he worked as a passenger conductor between
Roanoke & Norfolk. He was born in Keysville (west of Crewe and south of
Farmville), VA, in 1881 and originally worked for the C&O RR prior to
the Virginian RR.

Working for the Virginian took him to Princeton, WVa, and then to
Roanoke. When I was a small child (mid-late 1950's) he & his family
lived on Richlieu Ave., in SW Roanoke (a street parallel to Jefferson
Str. near Crystal Springs & Roanoke Memorial Hospital) and Uncle Henry
was so close to the Virginian facilities, yards, & passenger station
that he often walked to work. He retired from the Virginian RR in the
late 1950's just prior to the N&W merger and passed away in 1960.

Henry Raine Harvey had 4 daughters and 1 son, all but one born in
Princeton, WVa. The youngest daughter was born in Roanoke.

Attached are several photos - I have more if anyone is interested -
don't know who the other gentlemen in the pictures are, just my "Uncle
Henry". Henry is wearing the passenger conductor uniform. Don't know
the date of the Roanoke Times newspaper photo - if anyone knows the date
based on content (or when vol. 137, no. 1 was), I would be interested in
knowing that as well.

If anyone out there knew of Henry Harvey, I would definitely be
interested in hearing from you.

Thanks....Wilson McClung, Midland, TX

(I am originally from Rockbridge County outside of Lexington, I then
lived in Blacksburg for 11 yrs (1972-1983) where I received several
degrees from VT and worked for the Dept. of Geological & Geophysical
Sciences. I have worked for Chevron USA, Inc., as a petroleum geologist
for 24 yrs.)