winston-salem district

Mon Aug 6 10:56:12 EDT 2007

There has been a change in the signals and the
signal spacing on the Winston District recently and
it's surprising that Sig 108.8 is still there. This
signal DID have the capability of displaying a
"Stop" indication -- when Southern's Winston-
Salem Division crossed the N&W (later NS) there.
Now that NS has abandoned that part of the old
A&Y, it's no longer necessary for crews to stop,
wait until a conflicting move cleared on the
Southern, or arrange to flag across the diamond.
This had been an automatic interlocking and was
NOT controlled by the Shenandoah Div. dispatcher.

There WAS a cab-crunching rear-ender there one night
in the early 70's. A cab-light out of North Winston passed
a "restricting" near Mile Post 110.2 and collided with a
northbound stopped at the crossing. You can't always
travel at 15 MPH and be in compliance with restricted
speed.
Harry Bundy

Thanks Harry. Yes the signal is still there, but I think it might be coming down soon,since they have put a new light at Pine Hall,but they have not turn them on yet. They have been up since the first of the year,and when I was down there a couple of weeks ago they were not on. I wish they would not tear them down,because I think it would be moved into the woods. Also, do you know anything about a side track in Walkertown,It was north of the depot. Thanks Jeff