Boaz Pix

Fri Aug 3 22:09:07 EDT 2007

Further to the Boaz conversation, the recently-published M. Hope Farrell
volume, N&W- Steam's Last Stand (available via the N&WHS Commissary),
features within the Blue Ridge section the most extensive Boaz
photographic treatment by far I have seen. Some eight-plus pages, all
Boaz. Arresting photography, as found throughout the volume.

A related teaser: The east-of-Blue Ridge pusher siding, for heavy
lifting WB to the gap at Blue Ridge, was at Irving, about four miles
east of Montvale. I know of no shot of action there. Neither VPI nor
N&WHS appears to have a photographic record. Anyone seen or know of an
Irving shot?

Another teaser: how about mid-century shots of the Bonsack station and
nearby water tower, all just up the line EB from Boaz. Neither of the
sources above has any as best I can determine. Warden's volume on Ys
does have a partial shot of the tower. I would surely welcome reference
to a full-dress photo. VPI has an early 1900s Bonsack station image,
but by mid-century I think that structure had been torn down and another
erected on the site. Any leads as to a pix of the mid-century structure?

Frank Gibson