Mollie

Wed Jun 20 20:44:47 EDT 2007

Gents,

For what its worth, Thomas H. Blevins in his A Brief History of the "Virginia Creeper" , mentions the " 'Mollies', as the M's were affectionately known by the N&W road crews".. . He also says that they were later referred to as "Outlaws" because of a Federal ruling that banned future construction of deckless engines. The M's were, of course "grandfathered". Of course, this booklet was published in 2003, and we don't know what his source was.

Tom is, or was, an N&WHS member. Maybe he can enlighten us on the matter.

Jeff Sanders
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:09 PM
Subject: Re: Mollie

Gordon -

I agree with you that I never heard Ms referred to as "Mollies" around Bristol. Tim Hensley referred to them that way in "Steam Steel and Stars" and for all I know that was what they were called around his home town of Kenova. But in print, only in SS&S and in the new "SLS" book.

3- or 4-hundreds is what they were called . . .

EdKing
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:10 PM
Subject: Mollie

More and more recently I have seen the term "Mollie" used to describe N & W's Class M steam locomotives. Although I once worked in an N & W shop that had a Class M, I never heard the term "Mollie" until recently, but I have to admit that most rank and file N & W railroaders would refer to a locomotive by the number series instead of the class, e.g., a "four-hundred" instead of a "Class M."

Still, I wonder, is "Mollie" a recent railfan invention. Anyone know?

Gordon