1907 - The Catawba Railroad

Sat Jun 9 15:58:02 EDT 2007

Roanoke Times - June 09, 1907

THE CATAWBA RAILROAD

Work Being Pushed on New Line Out of Salem -- The Glass Plant

Work is being pushed on the Catawba railroad that is being built
from Salem to the silica deposits, nine miles away, and President
Louis Scholz said yesterday he expects to see trains running on the
road by September 1. By that date it is expected the glass plant
which will be located at Salem, will be completed. The beds of silica
that this road will tap are the largest in the world, and the sand is
said to be the finest yest discovered.
"Is there any danger of your concern being swallowed up by the
glass sand trust that has just been formed by young Cassatt and
associates?" was a question put to Mr. Scholz.
"Not the least," replied Mr. Scholz. "We will paddle our own
canoe. None of our stock is for sale.".