Sprucing Up

Sat Apr 21 00:02:22 EDT 2007

I saw the 6074 come rolling by my house west of Marion earlier this week heading toward Bristol with that work train. Thanks for sharing the photo.

They have certainly been doing a LOT of cleanup work. I haven't seen this much work done on the Bristol Line since the continuous rail was installed in 1991. That was a great cleanup effort, but things were just kind of left alone after that. Now, parts of the pole line have been taken down, and other parts of it are falling down, and much of it is grown up and obscured by brush, expecially starting at Seven Mile Ford heading east up through Jessie's Cut.

The Route 11 grade level crossing in Marion has been replaced and is in top notch condition. All the approaches to the grade crossings were cleared last summer. The drainage problems at McMullin bridge have been fixed, and the cut opened up just a bit. I'd say things are definitely looking up.

It also makes me think there's more to this than meets the eye...

Ben Blevins

Signals being painted and a comprehensive R/W clean-up that has been going
on for months. Rumor has it that there will be a high-level inspection trip
(using the Fs?) in a few weeks.

Attached photo shows ties from the yard area being loaded out by work train
946 (powered by ex N&W SD-40-2 6074) which has been moving between Bristol
and Abingdon.

Mike Pierry, Jr.

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.