Domed Passenger Cars

Mon Apr 16 22:17:14 EDT 2007

Frank,
When Pullman-Standard was designing the 1949 Arrow, they actually had drawn
up plans for a dome car (sidenote: the P-S domes (non-UP) are NO match for
the Budd and ACF domes) that had "high-density" seating. I suspect that the
N&W canceled the car over concerns of running it under wire on the Pokey (I
believe the drawings were made in 1947) and from the front dome windows
collecting cinders from the J's. I'm sure someone on the list can provide
further details.

Allen Evans
Federal Way, WA
"Modern power from hydrogen coming in 2009"