Y Class rebuilding possibility

Wed Mar 14 16:24:32 EDT 2007

Thanks on the C&O info.

pete groom

Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 5:28 PM
Subject: Re: Y Class rebuilding possibility

I finally pulled your(?) book; I'd forgotten about all the
incremental changes going from the original Y5 to the Y6b. Even with
all those changes, the real shift in overall layout was from the Y4
to the Y5, it seems. Some roads might have even classified the Y6s
as additional sub-classes of the Y5.

The Y6s were the Y5 with improvements. The Y6s had the same capacity
as the Y5 and their major improvment was the use of bed castings and
roller bearings. The Y5s later got these improvements, also.

Could it be said that the Y6b was the last "big steam" loco built?
Interesting that USRA or developed-USRA designs were 3 of the "last"
steam locos built - Y6b; S1a, last Class 1 steam built and the C&O
2-6-6-2s the last ALCO steam built.

The C&O engines were not direct descendents of the USRA but were a
direct descendent from the C&Os H-2 of 1911.