Y Class rebuilding possibility

Tue Mar 13 17:28:51 EDT 2007

I finally pulled your(?) book; I'd forgotten about all the
incremental changes going from the original Y5 to the Y6b. Even with
all those changes, the real shift in overall layout was from the Y4
to the Y5, it seems. Some roads might have even classified the Y6s
as additional sub-classes of the Y5.

Could it be said that the Y6b was the last "big steam" loco built?
Interesting that USRA or developed-USRA designs were 3 of the "last"
steam locos built - Y6b; S1a, last Class 1 steam built and the C&O
2-6-6-2s the last ALCO steam built.

pete groom