Intermodal on the old N&W

Wed Mar 7 22:02:07 EST 2007

I could never find an exact start date when I wrote the Shenandoah Book, but know they were running in 1956 on Trains #51 & #52. This was in conjunction with PRR (via their #CV-85 from Enola/Harrisburg) and connected with SR (via their #73) at Bristol. Perhaps someone from Bristol may be able to shed some light on this subject). The aluminum TOFC are from the Mason-Dixon Truck Lines. I remember seeing these passing by in 1956 in my times as a young boy.
Mason Cooper

Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 10:51 AM
Subject: RE: Intermodal on the old N&W

Do you have any idea what date these pictures were taken? I'm sure it was in the '50s, but when? When did N&W initiate TOFC service?

Bill Smith