Caboose Wheel set Mystery

Sun Mar 4 17:44:59 EST 2007

Dave,

As a little bit of trivia, the "Southern" wheels were cast steel wheels, whereas the "Carnegie" wheels were wrought steel wheels made by US Steel.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 8:53 PM
Subject: Caboose Wheel set Mystery

Harry,

Thanks for the picture of the U-1 wheel set. I've able to verifiy that the wheel set in question is not "Southern" but is marked as "CARNEGIE". All the wheeI sets on 518216 are from the same manufacturer. I wasn't able to spend time trying to get any of the smaller markings off of the wheels. May be when the weather and water are to my advantage I'll climb back under and try to get the rest of the info. At this time I'm happy to believe that, for one reason or another, this particular wheel set suffered some sort of problem and holes were made in the wheel webs to be sure it was taken out of service. When, where and why may never be discovered but that's half the fun of trying to track down specific info for items made and in service from "long" ago.

By the way if any one on the list happens to come across any photos of cabin car CF 518216 from its service days I'd like to have them.

Dave Moorehead
Milford, OH

FREE Reminder Service - NEW from AmericanGreetings.com
Click HERE and never forget a Birthday or Anniversary again!