Caboose Wheel Set Mystery

Fri Feb 2 23:54:28 EST 2007

Just for the record, Southern was the trade name for cast steel wheels manufactured by American Brake Shoe Co. (later known as ABEX, then even later as ABC Rail). Because Southern wheels are cast steel wheels, the SOUTHERN and U1 would appear as raised letters on the back of the wheel plate (the portion between the hub and the rim) instead of being stamped into the back rim face, which is how wrought steel wheels are marked.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 3:24 PM
Subject: Re: Caboose Wheel Set Mystery

Well Dave, maybe I shoulda read your complete post before responding.
I noticed later, it went to Cincinnati in 1963. There IS a very easy
way to determine if it was one of the condemned wheel sets. On the
back will be stamped the words 'SOUTHERN" and "U-1".
Harry Bundy