Bedford Station

Wed Jan 24 01:00:45 EST 2007

Jerry Shepardson's note calls to mind a sad connection between D-Day and
the Bedford station.

During Gen. Eisenhower's run for the White House, a campaign
whistle-stop train went through Bedford. A considerable gathering of
folk from the town and county, even, assembled at the station to hail
Eisenhower, including WWII vets. Bedford's Company A, 116th Inf Rgt,
29th Inf Div, was among the very first units to hit Omaha Beach on 6
June 1944, with the loss of some 20 lives. (Hence the National D-Day
Memorial at Bedford.) Among the vets awaiting Eisenhower's whistle-stop
were surviving members of Company A, so anxious to greet (and surprise)
their commanding general.

To everyone's grief and disbelief, the train just flew through town (not
unlike the Powhatan Arrow, which made no stops between Roanoke and
Lynchburg), permitting just a fleeting glimpse of Eisenhower on the back
platform waving to yet another unidentified country turnout. In
seconds, he and the train were were far down the track.

A tragic error. Clearly, Eisenhower, who surely knew of Bedford's
sacrifice for the country, was unaware that his train was scheduled to
go through that little town. Doubtless the engine crew was not thinking
about the connection, either. But some asleep-at-the-switch staffer,
responsible for distinguishing stops from passes-through, missed a
singular occasion for a compelling story with deep emotive content for
soldiers, townsfolk and campaign alike.

Tourist bureau: There is a grand overnight spot on the Blue Ridge
Parkway 10 miles north of Bedford. Peaks Lodge. From heights very near
there decades ago one could see and hear off in the distance N&W trains
on the mainline below near Montvale. Time to pull out the handkerchief!

Frank Gibson