CPL history lesson

Thu Jan 4 09:30:25 EST 2007

"WHY did the N&W change the position lights to Color?
Ben Blevins"

Who knows the real reason the N&W's changed over to CPLs? I will assume that "Safety" was behind it somewhere. I am sure I will get an arguement from some,but, I think the CPLs are safer.
You read what I posted. With PL signals, the only color the crews were seeing was YELLOW. And that was my point! If the signal indication was obscured in some way, all you saw was YELLOW. If some of the lights were burnt out, all you saw was YELLOW.
Now, introduce color into the signal system and what do you get? Now (with CPLs) when you look through the fog or smoke or steam or tree branches and you see a fuzzy green light you knew what you had, etc. etc.
I have also been told that the wreck between #95 and #2 at the South End of Cloverdale was related to the PL signal at the North End of Cloverdale being worked on that same day. I have yet to find an accident report on that one.
Jimmy Lisle