NW COAL HOPPERS AT ROANOKE SCRAP YARD

Thu Nov 23 14:25:05 EST 2006

Today we went railfanning around Roanoke. I noticed the scrap yard that has
the old steam engines and coal cars from the 1930s is continuing to clean up
things. The bad news(?) is the old coal cars are gone. Does anyone know
what happened to them. Were they finally scrapped? It would have been
great if there'd been some way to preserve at least one of them.

It looks like the area around some of the steam engines are being cleared of
weeds and brush. Are they going to disappear next?

Phil Miller
Fredericksburg, VA