signal lens colors

Sun Oct 29 19:38:01 EST 2006

OK all you signal fans, I had a glorious time in the tri-state area centered around Kenova today poking around in the Autumn splendor for N&W CPL signal colors. The old signals get fewer and farther between with each new expedition, so I want to get the colors right while they're still there. I see to types of lenses, conical and slightly concave. I assume the conical ones are older? The reds look good and red (my guess is the light they let through is in the range of 660-700 nm). Likewise the greens look good and green (maybe somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-530 nm). But what about those yellow/ambers? The newer/slightly concave lenses look to be just a medium shade of yellow, but the conical ones sure appear to be more toward the amber (based on a very, very small sample size). Did N&W have a specification for the exact color of lens they used? Did the same color yellow come down from the PL signals to the CPL signals? Can some of you guys with access to signals/lenses photograph them and post the results to share with us? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim Cochran

dcochran116 at adelphia.net