Welded rail

Tue Oct 10 01:37:49 EDT 2006

> Bellevue welded rail into 1440 ft strips. When installed, I believe the

>strips

> were coupled with rail joints. Are the joints now made using a field

>weld ?

>Harry Bundy

Depends on installation. General maintenance usually gets a thermite weld,
but look for these to get phased as advances in portable flash butt welding
and/or advances in gas pressure welding. Larger installations will get a
specialized rolling machine that flash butt welds the rails (i.e, it holds
the rails together under pressure then applies current to them).

Robb Fisher