Hagerstown Transfer / Hagerstown Jct

Sun Oct 1 13:35:50 EDT 2006

Gary Rolih's October 1, 2006, post, under the thread "Icing Stations on the N&W" extensively cites various editions of "Officers, Agents, Stations." Excellent work, Gary !

His citation of the 5/1/1924 edition lists:

Hagerstown Transfer, MD
Hagerstown Jct, MD
<<

This raises a question. Where were "the Transfer" and "the Junction" at Hagerstown?

In my humble experience, a "Transfer" was a dock (usually covered) where Less-than-Carload Freight ("LCL") was transferred from the cars of one road to the cars of another, in an across-the-dock fashion. The only place I can figure Hagerstown might have had such a facility was in the area south (really south-west) of the engine house.

I suspect that there was only one icing facility at Hagerstown, and that it was an ersatzt arrangement used on an ad hoc basis, with ice trucked in from the Hagerstown ice plant.

So, I guess I am left with four Hagerstown-type questions:

1. Where was "Hagerstown Transfer" ?
2. What kind of icing facilities were located there?
3. Where/what was "Hagerstown Jct"?
4. Where was the N&W's freight station in Hagerstown?

Too bad I wasn't possessed of these questions twenty-five years ago, when there were still men working at Hagerstown who hired in the 1940s !

-- abram burnett