Unstreamlined Js

Sat Sep 30 12:35:45 EDT 2006

> Can anyone tell me which of the "war baby" Js were originally built

> without streamlining, and what class they carried. Somewhere (don't

> remember where) I had seen a reference saying that they carried "J1" class

> designation while in their naked dress and that they were reclassified "J"

> after streamlining... is this correct???

> TIA

> Jerry,

The J's built in 1943 during the restrictions by the War Production Board
were numbers 605 through 610. These locomotives were given streamlining as
well as the lightweight rods that J's 600 through 604 were built with
starting in late 1945 I believe. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong. Ken
Miller covered this pretty well in his book on the J's that was released in
2000. Later modifications to the J's were made after the final batch of
locomotives 611 through 613 were constructed in 1950. These included the
round vents that were stapled into the sheet metal above the pilot and below
the nose cone, cast solid pilot trucks replacing the spoked pilot trucks, as
well as relocation of the bell from on top of the boiler to behind the
skirting near the pilot on the left hand side of the locomotives. One
distinction that J's 600 through 610 had that identified them apart from 611
through 613 was the fact that their tender decks were rounded rather than
flat like those of the final three J's. You are correct in that 605-610 were
classified as J1's during the time that they were unstreamlined and were
reclassified as J's once streamlining was applied.

One question I have for anyone who may know is did the J1's have the same
Hancock steamboat whistle that the earlier J's had or did they have the
N&W's hooter whistle until the streamlining was applied?

Steven Ashley