N&W signal pole brackets

Sat Sep 30 08:44:21 EDT 2006

Group,
I've been doing extensive research into the pole brackets used by the N&W for two track territory or passing track signals. I've found two distinct styles. This first style, which I believe to be the older of the two, was used at West End Atkins, East End Groseclose, and East End Crockett as seen here.
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS4080.JPG
This particular pole bracket was retired in the late 50's after having been converted to position lights in 1946-47.

I know this type survived into the position light era, but now I can find no more of them in use today. Does anyone know if any of this type are still in use?

This style, as seen at Dublin, is much more common.
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns269.jpeg

Many of these are still in use today, albeit in very poor condition. This one is at Glade Spring.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/100_1273.jpg

I found evidence on the structure of where the semaphores had been mounted. These units have survived nearly 90 years. From what I understand, these units have all been declared unsafe to climb on, and must be serviced from cherry pickers.

Is anyone aware of any other style of pole bracket used by the N&W? I know they also used cantilever bridges in some locations. I have also seen a few of the pole brackets in a three pole form, mainly on the Clinch Valley line. That line has been fully converted to the new signals as far as I know, so those three pole versions are now gone.

Ben Blevins