Roanoke District double track

Fri Sep 29 19:12:37 EDT 2006

Robb and Harry,

You both raise Valid points, However I have to agree with Jimmy that the
Original double track would Cure a lot of problems. Why?
First of all:
Stuarts Draft is MP 152.9 Pkin is 165.6 (Coming from a 2003 Track Chart)
12.7 Miles
The original Double track ended in the 158-159 area only about 2-3 miles
from Stuarts Draft, almost a 10 mile difference.

Second, Northbound trains stop on the "Hill" A lot more often then one
thinks, Mostly due to train length of south bounds (I have seen 9300').
Along with that the traffic is not as sparse as it once was one any
given day you can have 8 trains 9 and perhaps 10 Friday through Monday.

Third, Efficiency, Efficiency, Efficiency!

Also I would like to say that, I would tend the think that Being an
engineer on the Roanoke District, Jimmy would know all too well the
items listed above and what problems can arise. I may be Very Young in
my Railroad career, and I may only work for, a Small one train a day, 20
Mile outfit, and only work part time.
But what can say is what you least expect We Need a Larger Passing
Siding...Why? Our business has vastly out grown what we are capable of
and it keeps growing. Jimmy however has been out on the rail for quite
some time and is a person that I have learned a lot of Railroading from,
that being said on a personal note I will say that I greatly Value his
opinions.

See you along the Rail Jimmy,

Nathan

Nathan Simmons