Wye Near Lofton and Roanoke District Double track

Tue Sep 26 20:15:20 EDT 2006

I can diffidently say the Wye existed into the 60s as my father is older
then my 2nd cousin and he was born late in '54.

Oh and something to mention, I got this from another email group about a
week or so ago:

"September 16, 2006

Norfolk Southern is planning a series rail improvements to its tracks
that parallel Interstate 81. The improvements will be necessary before
significant truck traffic can be diverted onto nearby tracks instead.

The company recently presented its planned improvements to Virginia's
Rail Advisory Board. To relieve choke points along the I-81 corridor,
Norfolk Southern wants to build longer sidings - tracks allowing long
trains to pass one another.

Officials say diverting truck traffic along the interstate to rail will
require buying new trains and making significant improvements to a
system that hasn't been updated in years.

Both Norfolk Southern and VDOT have planned studies to see how rail can
be used to get more trucks off the interstate. "

That being said I saw rail layed next to the siding at Stuarts Draft.

Also for some comic relief Maybe NS will get smart and put the Double
track back in to Greenville ;~)

Nathan

Nathan Simmons
trainman51 at gmail.com