J's coaling at Prichard WV

Tue Sep 26 10:24:44 EDT 2006

Afton, Ohio is on the Cincinnati District at about MP C30. Afton is at the
top of Batavia Hill and was set up as a doubling siding originally for
doubling Batavia Hill for eastbound traffic. Originally Batavia Hill was
very steep (like 2-2-1/4%) which caused many accidents. In the late 1890's
the Cincinnati, Portsmouth & Virginia rebuilt a new right-of-way up 4 Mile
Creek to reduce the grade. This new line rejoined the old mainline at
Maywood, just west of Afton. This new grade was 1.4%.

Afton had water and a coaling wharf in the teens and twenties plus a small
shed station.

In later years, Afton had/has a small set of yard tracks to serve some
industries that had been built in or near Afton and serve as set off tracks
fro the local shifter.

Gary Rolih

N&WHS

_____