The most perfect locomotive -- N&W's J -- and Its TOP Speed of 128 mph!!!

Sun Sep 10 10:56:15 EDT 2006

Good question, I have no idea how they would have calculated it on the
spot. I seriously doubt they would have tried anything that high
without some serious reservations officially. I think the mechanical
engineers would have reported much the same as the Pennsy found a few
years later that the machinery speed (i.e. piston speed) in conjunction
with the 70 inch drivers was too high for any sustained operation at a
high speed.

I've heard many tales of 110 regularly in the racetrack, and I suspect
that it was pushed even beyond that on rare occasion, but I'd speculate
it was a very rare occasion.

Ken Miller