N&W/C&O merger was Re: Crane

Tue Aug 29 10:45:04 EDT 2006

Connecting the N&W to the CO Northern would have been awkward by using the
B&O tracks and its connection up to the C&O Northern at Sciotoville. An N&W
w/b move would have required pulling into Star Yard and making a reverse
move through Sciotoville and climbing up to the C&O Northern on the
connecting track.

The tracks through the Piketon Nuclear Processing plant at Teays did exist
at that time and did not require the reverse move. Somebody needed the
permission of he NRB to increase the traffic through a classified facility
however.

The C&O did use this connection for a short while when they had their
mainline blocked south of Teays for a bit.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

_____