Crane

Mon Aug 28 15:20:18 EDT 2006

This decorated NS crane reminds me of a story told to me by a C&O manager
while we were inspecting facilities at points where each railroad had a
facility, but where one facility would become redundant in the proposed
1965 merger of the N & W and C & O.

He said that there was a C & O car general foreman in Ohio who took great
pride in the appearance of his wreck derrick, even to the point of taking it
on him self to add the C & O's then-current logo. He was called on the
carpet later for his poor judgment.

It seems as though there was a major derailment pile up in his territory and
the local newspapers and TV station had a field day showing the piled-up
cars surrounding the general foreman's customized derrick sporting the logo,
"C & O for Progress!"

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 5:39 PM
Subject: Crane

Photo Op-

This crane is parked on the Abingdon industrial siding. I note that it
seems to have an air-conditioning unit on top.

Mike Pierry, Jr.