caboose restoration

Thu Aug 10 16:36:22 EDT 2006

"The designation of "POOL" allowed the caboose to go anywhere in the system. For example, until they received the pool designation, former NKP Bay Windows were not allowed in Virginia and West Virginia. After the pool designation and modifications they were then allowed in those states regardless of any union agreements."

And what an accident waiting to happen those NKP cabs were. I know of absolutely no one that ever rode one that ever liked them. "Hard Headers" were what we called them. No cushion underframe, they'd beat you to death. I'm sure NKP guys were more than happy to get rid of these junkers!
Jimmy Lisle