Longest train

Wed Aug 9 23:17:30 EDT 2006

>i do agree that the remote operation of the units was not a success in

>general service, and disappeared rather quickly. I believe that the

>Russians ran an even longer train (600 cars?) and the N&W ultimately

>gave up trying.

>Ken Miller

Learn something new everyday! Do the magazines show any pictures of the
units, clear enough to discern road numbers? Good thing the articles
mention radio break-up in the tunnels, as this was (and still is) the reason
I've heard that remotes (and now DPU) aren't used on the Pokey... not that
they can't, just that installing and maintaining the repeater stations
necessary for fluid operations.

N&W held the record for quite some time, at least till the late 90s. BHP
Billiton in Australia was the road that broke the record... I've heard the
reason they didn'yt continue with them was that they realized that running
those long trains wasn't very effective as no yard could take and classify
them as efficiently as smaller trains.

Take care,
Robb Fisher